THE ROOT CHAKRA
SURVIVAL & SECURITY
Location: Perineum (between the anus and the genitals)
Primary Color: Red
Secondary Colors: Mauve, Brown
Right: To Have
Planets: Saturn & Earth
Sound: Bb Note/Lam
Frequencies (Hz): 228, 456, 912
Body: Skeletal system, teeth, large intestine, immune system, kidneys, blood, feet, hips, anus
Endocrine Gland: Gonads/Reproductive Glands- In men these are the testes which govern testosterone. In women they are the ovaries which release estrogen and progesterone. They control sexual development.
Balanced/Open Chakra: When the root chakra is balanced, one feels grounded, stable, and secure. You feel present in the here and now and feel connected to your physical body. You are energized and daily tasks are done with ease. You have no doubt about your place in the world.
Underactive: An underactive root chakra will leave you feeling fearful and disconnected from the world and your body. The world and life around you makes you feel nervous and anxious. You feel uneasy and unwelcome. You may feel disorganized and lack focus and discipline. You will lack in energy and desire to want to do anything or want anything out of life. You may also suffer from depression. Sex drive may be low.
Overactive: An overactive root chakra will make you feel angry, annoyed, and aggressive towards people and things in life. You tend to have a hard time accepting change and the flow of life. You may be obsessed with controlling others or their environment and feel threatened at anyone or anything that challenges your "authority". You will seek security in external things such as people, jobs, objects, or particular habits. You seek value and self worth in material things and will feel insecure without them. Sex drive may be high.
Physical Symptoms: weight instability, anorexia, obesity, over/underactive sex drive, poor immune system, anemia, depression, fatigue, arthritis, irritable bowel syndrome, prostate cancer, fibroids, uterine cancer
The Root Chakra is the first most important chakra to balance. Balancing the root chakra builds a solid foundation for opening and balancing the rest of the 6 chakras. Like the foundation of a house, if it is weak the house cannot stand. The root chakra represents your ability to release energy, its position being near the anus (where wastes leave your body) and the perineum. When out of balance, the flow of energy is not being properly released and our connection to earth gets disconnected. The root chakra is also your survival center. It controls the fight or flight response, your primal and animal nature. This chakra also carries the energy of our parents and ancestors including their lessons, learned and unlearned, their triumphs and their challenges, and can create unconscious generational patterns. The root chakra can waver between underactive, balanced, and overactive at any given time, depending on situations, triggers, and how someone chooses to handle their fears and situations around them. The root chakra is the first to develop from birth to the age of 7. This developmental stage involves learning to trust and having our basic needs met such as food, water, shelter, protection and safety, which help you feel grounded and secure. However if there were a series of events that left a child feeling unsafe, scared, or insecure, they tend to have root chakra imbalances that build fears and anxieties when it comes to facing the world, interactions with people, relationships, and even everyday activities. We will find ourselves repeating the same patterns we learned in childhood until those energies are uprooted to be resolved. "What you suppress, you will repeat." So it is important to heal root chakra and subconscious issues.
How to Balance
The root chakra can be balanced with effort, physically and energetically, which will facilitate what needs to come up and be uprooted for spiritual healing.
- Visualize the root chakra symbol and/or a bright red ball of light at the base of the perineum where the root chakra is positioned.
- Stand in the grass barefoot for a few minutes, earth underneath your feet, allowing yourself to feel grounded to the earth and in the present moment.
- Wear/carry root chakra crystals that best fit your needs. (See Crystal Page)
- Light a red candle to use during visualization and meditation.
- Use aromatherapy with essential oils that have wood earthy scents. GROUNDING Root Chakra crystal infused oil is formulated to facilitate balance.
- Listen to root chakra sound vibrations (Click here)
- Chant the seed of LAM in a note of Bb at the frequencies listed above that resonate with the 432 Hz chakra scale.
- Wear the color red
- Eat red colored foods and foods known to be roots such as ginger, carrots, beets, and eat high protein foods.
- Practice root chakra yoga positions. In addition these can be done in the grass barefoot for grounding.
- Repeat root chakra affirmations daily.
Affirmations for Root Chakra Healing:
- I feel safe and secure
- I have what I need
- I am grounded
- I am connected to my body
- I am connected to the earth
- I accept things that help me grow and evolve
- I trust myself
- I am strong
- I am protected
- I am loved
- I release pain and negative energy