THE SACRAL CHAKRA
Creativity & Sexual Expression
Sanskrit Name: Svadisthana (SWAH-dis-TAN-uh)
Location: Below the Navel
Primary Color: Orange
Secondary Colors: Gold, Amber
Right: To Act
Sound: D Note/Vam
Body: Sexual organs, prostate, womb, spleen, bladder, gallbladder, bowels, lower intestines, lower back
Endocrine Gland: Gonads- regulates sexual function and hormones. Adrenal glands- regulates metabolism and immune system in response to stress. Executes the "fight or flight" syndrome. Controls heart rate, breathing, blood pressure, decrease in the flow of blood to and function of organs not involved in the emergency response.
Balanced/Open Chakra: When the sacral chakra is balanced your emotions are able to flow freely and you can express them fully without being over-emotional. You radiate warmth and friendliness naturally to others within balance. You are open to intimacy and being passionate. You have a healthy and open expression of your sexuality. You feel confident and experience pleasure, joy, and abundance. You are able to let go, move on, accept change and transformation within the body, and experience the moment as is. You want to live and experience life to the fullest.
Underactive: An underactive sacral chakra will lead to being emotionally unattached, distant, or cold and you are not very open to people. You may have a flat or poker faced expression. You will lack trueness of self, creativity and originality and "fitting in" is the main motivation. You feel as if you aren't good enough. You may express a fear of pleasure, denying yourself things that make you feel good, or things you really want and will make excuses of why you shouldn't or aren't deserving of them. You may also experience a weak or low sex drive.
Overactive: If you have an overactive sacral chakra, you will be over-emotional and dramatic over people, situations, and events. You may come off as clingy and emotionally co-dependent. You constantly let the actions and approval of others control and rule your emotional outcome. You may also experience an over-active sex drive, feeling the need to have sex to fulfill emptiness and void or to satify emotional cravings.
Physical Symptoms: Bladder issues such as UTI's, kidney stones, gallbladder stones, vaginal cancers, irregular mestruation, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, pre-menstrual syndrome, infertility, prostate cancer, low sperm count.
The Sacral Chakra is the dwelling place of the self, constantly creating a new you in growth. It is the chakra responsible for the will to procreate. As children we experienced the world in our own creative way. There was no right or wrong way to do things, we just acted out of our own free flowing creativity. It isn't until we are taught the 'percieved' right or wrong way to do something that we become self-conscious about our originality and creative processes. As we get older, we begin to experience societal conditioning where we learn our feelings are not valued and passion and emotional reactions receive harsh critism. We are taught what is "beautiful" or accepted and what is not and leaves us constantly comparing and judging ourself to societal standards. We may have received rejection of some sort for showing our true self, or even liking someone. On a sexual level, this world is full of mixed signals about "healthy or unhealthy" sexual behaviors either being magnified and glorified, or rejected and put to shame. With a mix of these experiences you may find yourself going along to just fit in, abandoning your true self and creative ideas. Open yourself to love your body without comparison. Experience your sexual self without shame or guilt. Let go of the fear of being judged. Remember how good it felt when you were being original, unique, and different. Become confident in yourself and your originality. Unplug yourself from the mainstream thinking. Accept yourself for who you are and let that grow.
How to Balance
1. Meditate visualizing the sacral chakra (at top) with its pedals rotating, or a bright orange ball of light just below the navel where the sacral chakra is positioned.
2. Wear/carry sacral chakra crystals that best fit your needs during meditation and/or everyday use. (See Crystal Chart)
3. Light an orange candle to use during visualization or meditation.
4. Dance to some of your favorite music behind closed doors like no one is watching and enjoy the moment.
5. Be open to allowing yourself to be creative in ways such as drawing, writing, cooking, whatever suits you, without the care or concern of others.
6. Use aromatherapy with essential oils that have a flowery and/or sensual scent. PASSION Sacral Chakra crystal infused oil is formulated to facilitate balance.
7. Listen to sacral chakra sound vibrations such as tibetan singing bowls. (See below)
8. Chant the seed of VAM in the note of D. (Click here)
9. Wear or surround yourself in the color orange.
10. Eat sacral balancing foods. Sweet fruit such as oranges, mangos, melons, and strawberries, nuts such as almonds, and use spices of vanilla and cinnamon.
11. Practice sacral chakra yoga positions.
12. Repeat sacral chakra affirmations.
Affirmations for the Sacral Chakra
- I am creative
- I love my body
- I value myself
- I am open to experiencing the moment
- I allow myself to experience pleasure
- My sexuality is sacred
- I am at peace
This video plays tibetan bowl sounds/vibrations that resonate with the sacral chakra to help bring in balance. You can also cleanse and balance stones that resonate with the sacral chakra with this medition. To find crystals that resonate with the sacral chakra, refer to the crystal guide.